Fall Cue 2016 - American Canyon High School, Day One



I'm so excited to be back at Fall CUE this year. I look forward to meeting other educators, getting inspired, and learning new tips to bring back to my classroom.

KEYNOTE

The morning started with an inspiring Keynote by Dave Burgess, author of Teach Like A Pirate.
He inspired the room to bring their teaching alive by mastering the art of using hooks to engage students and our passion as educators to keep students' attention.

If you have not read the book or heard of Dave Burgess, you can learn more about his HERE.
I also wrote a review of his book in a previous blog post HERE.
It was great to see him and feel his energy in person.

SESSION 1 - Connect Student to the World with Google My Maps
Ruben Hoffman, of Ed Tech Pirates, led this interactive session on how to use Google My Maps.
I agree with Hoffman that Google My Maps is one of the most under-utilized Google tools.
Using maps is a great way for students to connect to what they are learning in a visual way.
I previously wrote blog posts with ideas for using My Maps in the classroom HERE and HERE.
I left with more ideas about how to have students assess information using Google Maps. One of the first projects I want to try is to have students record the settings of the books they are reading on a shared My Map.

SESSION 2 - Become an Innovative Educator
CUE offers an innovative educator certificate in conjunction with Fresno State University.
It is a 6 month, 18 unit program. 9 units are transferable to the Fresno State Masters in Education program.
I have been thinking about pursuing a masters degree for a couple of years but have been hesitant to do so. I attended this information session to learn about this program because it is not as big of a commitment as a full masters program but could lead into one if I choose.

SESSION 3 - Use Tech Tools to Spark Focused Academic Conversations
I was excited to attend this presentation because I knew the presenter, Sally Hoyt. Sally was a college friend of my sister (also a teacher). She has been working as a TOSA for the last few years, but is now back in the classroom and teaching 5th Grade. I have been following her blog, Thoughts on Education, and have gotten so many good ideas.
She shared many strategies on how to promote academic conversations and develop those skills in her students. She uses sentence stems and fishbowl modeling often with her students. She talked about her progression of developing skills starting with I notice, then I wonder, then I think. It made me realize that I need to be much more intentional about promoting conversations. Giving students a printout of sentence frames is not enough. They need examples, opportunities to practice, and specific feedback. Sally made a great point of using images to promote conversation.
I am anxious to try out the twitter challenge @globalmathtask, #gmttc24 for math, and the New York Times Learning Network materials in my classroom.
I also want to teach my students the 3-2-1 strategy for reviewing interesting photos.
3 - I notice...
2 - Question...
1 - I think...

SESSION 4 - BEING BOTH A PROFESSIONAL EDUCATOR AND A COMMUNITY LEADER - Rushton Hurley, founder of nextvista.org
"As a teacher you are a community leader, that's how it works. The questions is how far to you want to take on that role?"
Action item #1 - KNOW: learn what resources are available for students in need
Action item #2 - Set an example as one who understands the joy and meaning that comes from volunteering.
Action Item #3 - Join groups that pool talents from across the community to make great things happen.

Thanks CUE and American Canyon High School. Time to recharge my laptop and get ready for a full day 2 of learning!



Comments