Dot Day 2016 - Make Your Mark


International Dot Day is a day that is celebrated on September 15th-ish
You can learn more about the day HERE

Dot Day started in 2009 and the purpose is to celebrate creativity and collaboration, and encourage children to make their mark.

I began by reading The Dot by Peter Reynolds


This charming picture book tells the story of a young student who thinks he is not an artist, 
but is encouraged by his teacher to make his mark, beginning with drawing dots.
I used the "Buddy Dot" lesson idea found in the downloadable teacher resources on the Dot Day website.

I gave each student a sheet of paper with 4 circle outlines and told them to color each dot however they wanted. I also told them not to get too attached to their creations.
The work the students did varied from simply coloring in the circle in a solid color to very intricate patterns and graphic designs.

 


Once they were all colored in, the students cut them out.

I instructed them to pick out their favorite of the four that they colored and set it aside.
The other three, I had them fold in half and then cut (remember, I told them not to get too attached to their creations) I had them pick one piece from the three circles they cut and set it aside with their favorite complete circle.
Then they brought their three remaining half circles to the center of the room to trade with their classmates.


After trading their extra pieces, they selected a colored piece of construction paper and reconstructed four complete circles.


The final piece created a unique, colorful, patchwork style bulletin board that each student contributed to.



How do you promote creativity in your classroom? How do you encourage your students to make their mark?


Comments