SESSION 1 - Student-led Conferences and 20% Time Projects for Elementary Classrooms, Trevor Mattea
I have used resources from Trevor's website, http://www.trevormattea.com/, to help my students develop digital portfolios. I was excited to meet him, and hear him speak in person. One of my goals this year is to release more responsibility to my students and let them take charge of their own learning.
I took away a lot of things to think about in terms of how I structure my conferences, and reading assessments.
He talked about offering families more opportunities to be involved with assessments - specifically reading. I need to think about how I can do that, and what a realistic amount of time for me to set aside after school for this type of interaction would be. One thing that I definitely want to do in my classroom this year is use the website, create space to create and publish a class book.
SESSION 2 - The Amazing World of Google Photos and Google Street View VR, Leslie Fisher
SESSION 3 - SAMR Smackdown, Denise Douglas and Tulare School District teachers
This session was a showdown between different teachers sharing how they have transformed their lessons using the SAMR model.
If you are not familiar with the SAMR model, this infographic by @sylviaduckworth does a great job explaining it.
You can learn more about the SAMR model HERE.
The format of this presentation was unique in the sense that 6 different teachers presented a lesson idea that demonstrated each of the four levels of the SAMR model. After each pair of presentations, we took a live survey vote using kahoot.it, and one teacher moved into the next round of the smackdown. Some of the tech tools used to redesign lessons included:
Google Drawings instead of hand drawn posters and diagrams
Google Forms with Flubaroo for quizzes
Schoology class discussions (this can be done with google Classroom too)
Blogger for quick writes
Classtool.net to create fake facebook pages
Padlet to facilitate Socrative seminar discussions between different class periods
Thinglink for students to create content
Google Forms with Flubaroo for quizzes
Schoology class discussions (this can be done with google Classroom too)
Blogger for quick writes
Classtool.net to create fake facebook pages
Padlet to facilitate Socrative seminar discussions between different class periods
Thinglink for students to create content
SESSION 4 - Tools to Turn Your Students into Digital Teachers: Screencasting on Chromebooks, Marie Criste


This session allowed a lot of time to play with the Chromecast tools, Screencastify and Nimbus. I have created my own screencasts to deliver instructions to my students before and my goal is to have my students creating more of these themselves to demonstrate their learning.
I was drawn to this workshop because it was specific to Chromebooks which is what I have most available in my classroom. I can see my students using screencasts to demonstrate their understanding of a math problem. They could use a Google Drawing as their work surface, and then record a voiceover explaining how they are solving a particular problem.
One of my favorite takeaways from this session was an idea from another participant who also teaches fourth grade. She shared that she does screencasts when she is editing student writing. She reads the story and provides feedback through the screencast to her students so they can become better writers. I will be starting that on Monday!
I also learned about iFrame Generator to embed the code for videos into various documents.
I was drawn to this workshop because it was specific to Chromebooks which is what I have most available in my classroom. I can see my students using screencasts to demonstrate their understanding of a math problem. They could use a Google Drawing as their work surface, and then record a voiceover explaining how they are solving a particular problem.
One of my favorite takeaways from this session was an idea from another participant who also teaches fourth grade. She shared that she does screencasts when she is editing student writing. She reads the story and provides feedback through the screencast to her students so they can become better writers. I will be starting that on Monday!
I also learned about iFrame Generator to embed the code for videos into various documents.
CLOSING KEYNOTE - Walt Disney Family Museum and Rachel Gardner
I was tired, and I almost left early to head home... but I'm so glad I stuck around for the closing keynote address.
The closing session started with a presentation from the Walt Disney Family Museum. The reps from their education department shared some of the education outreach programs that they offer for schools. They demonstrated a multi-plane stop motion camera that would be each to replicate in the classroom. There are great resources on the museum website about using stop motion animation and infusing creativity into the classroom on the museum's website HERE
The closing session started with a presentation from the Walt Disney Family Museum. The reps from their education department shared some of the education outreach programs that they offer for schools. They demonstrated a multi-plane stop motion camera that would be each to replicate in the classroom. There are great resources on the museum website about using stop motion animation and infusing creativity into the classroom on the museum's website HERE
The final speaker was Stanford University freshman, Rachel Gardner. Rachel is an amazing young woman who invented the Chap Remote and became founder and first CEO of @chapresearch at Westlake High School in Austin, Texas. Thanks to the mentorship of her teacher, Rachel was able to engage in this amazing endeavor as part of a project-based learning experience. She has made it her mission to promote project-based learning and innovation in education. She hopes to inspire teachers to get out of the way and allow their students to explore, create, and design their own learning experiences. She was a fantastic speaker, and the session ended with a standing ovation of a room full of inspired teachers. I can't wait to spark more creativity in my classroom when I return Monday morning!
Thank for a great 2 days of learning! #fallCUE #theta360 - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA
Thank you American Canyon High School and CUE - I'll be back next year.



Comments
Post a Comment